SUNDAY, MARCH 29, 6PM – 8PM
Mappathon is a 3-day projection mapping marathon workshop, followed by an art installation exhibited at REVERSE and open to the public. Learn the latest projection mapping techniques and technologies and then collaborate to create a final advanced site-specific project.
Participants will learn the latest technology for mapping video projections on physical surfaces, incorporating multiple surfaces and shapes and moving away from the traditional confines of the screen to sculptures and building facades. The goal of the workshop is to create several projection mapping installations with or without interactivity, where the students create content for complex surfaces through collaboration. At the end of the workshop, participants will showcase their work to the public at REVERSE.
DAY 1: Friday, March 27, 7PM – 10PM
- Meet participants & team
- Idea of Mappathon
- An introduction to the concept of mapping
- Examples of projects created using MadMapper
- An overview of the software: Modul8 & MadMapper
DAY 2: Saturday, March 28, 12PM – 6PM
- A detailed description of all functions and possible future extensibility: Modul8 & MadMapper
- Interactive projection mapping
- Practice with projection mapping surface
DAY 3: Sunday, March 29, 12PM – 6PM
- Team work: creating and installing installation
Exhibition and Opening Party: Sunday, March 29, 6PM – 8PM
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPANT
- An adapter to connect a projector to your computer.
- Basic knowledge of interactive, video and projection is preferred.
- Pre installation of MadMapper, Modul8 and your choice of software on your computer is required. Time limited serial # will be provided before the workshop.
- Bring your own projector otherwise work as a team.
- Bring an idea for projection surface material, found objects for practice and an installation.
SOFTWARE: ONLY FOR MAC USER
The participants will be given a fully functional, 30 day time limited, version of MadMapper & Modul8. This should be installed and activated prior to the beginning of the workshop and is eligible to student discount for future purchase.
MadMapper has greatly simplified the process of working with this technique of video projection. Used in conjunction with video software like Modul8, Quartz Composer, Processing, or Max/MSP/Jitter; MadMapper enables designers and artists to realize their ideas without getting bogged down in technical details.
*Mappathon will not go over function of each software. The primary tool taught in the workshop is the software package MadMapper and Modul8.
Light breakfast and drinks will be served during the workshop.
Complete the Mappathon sign up form and pay the workshop fee through the Paypal button below.
Early bird: 3/14
Regular application: 3/26
Limited to 15 participants
Early bird: $375
Regular application: $500
Projector rental during the workshop, limited to 3 projectors: $50
Reverse Gallery holds intereactive Mappathon Workshop by greenpointers.com
EXHIBITION AND OPENING PARTY SPONSORED BY
She is an interactive visual artist and an educator. She creates a minimalist geometric visual narrative in sync with the sounds of live music performance in addition to interactive projection mapping installations that explore the relationship between visual, light, sound and public audience. She is a creator of a projection mapping workshop marathon, Mappathon, that teaches mapping projection techniques to create site specific installations. She was also a resident researcher at ITP, New York University, an IAC Teaching and Research Fellow for Vimeo and a resident at Eyebeam.
Mappathon is created by CHiKA.
Looking for 2 interns for this workshop. If you are interested in working for Mappathon on March 27th – 29th, please send an email to email@example.com with your resume by February 28th.